Hypnobirthing is a natural childbirth programme which teaches simple and highly effective birth positions, movement, relaxation, breathing and self-hypnosis techniques. The programme is soundly based upon established anatomy, physiology and psychology, and helps women to give birth more easily and comfortably. Hypnobirthing has been proven to minimize unnecessary medical interventions. It empowers parents-to-be to remain calm, confident and in control during labour and birth. And it helps parents have the birth that they want for their baby.
Hypnobirthing works from two key premises:
• a woman’s body is perfectly designed to birth naturally, and
• fear and tension, which create pain, can be replaced by feelings of calm, confidence and relaxation.
What are the advantages of hypnobirthing?
• With hypnobirthing you are more likely to experience a natural, calm, comfortable birth.
• You may find that you don’t need any pain relief at all.
• It shortens the length of labour, and you will be more alert and in control.
• Hypnobirthing lessens the physical impact of child birth on both mother and baby.
• The father/birth partner is actively involved with an important role to play.
• Hypnobirthing allows your baby to enter with world drug-free and in an atmosphere of calm and gentleness.
• Hypnobirthed babies have high APGAR scores, and tend to be calmer and establish feeding more easily.
What will I learn at my Hypnobirthing course?
You will learn about the anatomy and physiology of the birthing body, and how the mind affects the body during labour and birth. The course prepares both your mind and body for an easy natural birth, through simple and highly effective breathing, relaxation, visualisation and self-hypnosis techniques. You will learn how to avoid artificial induction, and reduce the likelihood of medical intervention. The course also includes massage and other techniques for birth partners, hypnosis sessions to build confidence and instil a sense of calm confidence, tips on making your birth plan, and much more. Courses are offered in groups or one-to-one, and usually include the hypnobirthing book, audio recordings, a course manual and ongoing support.